The admissions department at Pennsylvania College of Art & Design is available to guide you through the application process. Although PCA&D operates on a rolling admissions policy, we encourage students to complete their application by March for a fall semester start. For a spring semester start, December 1st is the deadline to have all admissions application materials submitted.
The PCA&D admissions department seeks to admit students that:
• Understand the value of art.
• Are seeking an intimate, supportive environment with ample opportunities for one-to-one instruction from our faculty of professionals.
• Are looking to engage in the professional training for a career in the arts.
• Are artistically and academically sound, and show potential for growth and exploration.
Prospective students that are attending college for the first-time, transferring from another institution or international, are required to submit the following:
• APPLICATION – A completed application, along with the application fee ($40 USD for domestic students, $110 USD for international students*): Apply
• PERSONAL STATEMENT – A typed personal statement of 250-500 words that describes your reasons for choosing a visual arts education and any influences that led to this choice. Pay close attention to spelling and grammar. This can be emailed as a PDF document or mailed to your admissions counselor.
• TRANSCRIPTS – Official high school or GED transcripts. Transfer students must also submit transcripts from all colleges where coursework had been attempted or completed. High school students should be enrolled in college preparatory curriculum. We do not have a foreign language requirement.
• PORTFOLIO – A portfolio consisting of 10-15 pieces of work, with a minimum of three (3) pieces from direct observation. These can be self-portraits, still-life, landscapes, etc. The rest of the portfolio should exhibit a wide variety of media and subject matter. A portfolio review will help us determine your potential for success at PCA&D. If you live more than three hours away from the College, you may submit your portfolio by CD. For additional details on the portfolio, download our submission instructions: Portfolio Requirements.
• RECOMMENDATIONS – Two recommendation forms are required for students who have a cumulative GPA below 2.5. One form should be completed by a teacher in an academic discipline or guidance counselor; the other form must be completed by a studio art/design instructor. Forms submitted by employers are also acceptable for transfer or non-traditional students. See the following link for the downloadable PDF of our form: Recommendation Form.
• TEST SCORES – Although PCA&D does not require students to submit ACT or SAT scores, they are strongly recommended. PCA&D's College Board code is 2681. PCA&D's ACT College code is 3569.
• INTERVIEW – All students must complete an interview with an admissions counselor.
• RÉSUMÉ – Any student that has been out of high school or not enrolled at a college or university for more than six months must submit a résumé.
*International Students wishing to enter the BFA degree program at Pennsylvania College of Art & Design must have completed all of their country's primary and secondary school requirements. International applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam and have the results sent by the application deadline. Students must apply one year in advance of the semester they plan to enroll. International students should download our current catalog for more information (see page 8).
Please also see:
Register for Open House
Who is my Counselor?